<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 04, 2004

One-Two Step 

Around 5 p.m. I ventured all the way to my neighbors' door. I knocked politely and heard a "come in." They were both there, the space cadet nutritionist and the chemical engineer. They were both sitting by their desks and looking kind of subdued. They both half turned their heads to catch a glance of me as I walked into their room. Oh boy, this might be a tough one to pull off.

"Hi," I said with a smile across my face that I couldn't contain, and one gripped hand behind my back.

"You guys!" I whined in protested to their apathetic mood.

"It's the end of the semester!!!" I shouted and tossed a handful of tootsie rolls in the air. Their eyes opened a bit wider and traces of a smile spread across their faces as they followed the trajectory of the flying toostie rolls.

"It's the last day of classes, and it's over!!! YAY!!!" I gave another try to spread my enthusiasm.

"Yay," the nutritionist said blandly.

"Oh yeah," said her chemical engineer roommate.

As the tootsie rolls settled onto the floor between us, so did a moment of awkward silence. We stared at each other.

"Well, that was a great party," I said in a dull tone, ready to turn around and leave. "Where's the music, the excitement, the enthusiasm?"

Cha-ching. The nutritionist, who's in a dance troupe, came to life. Two minutes later the three of us were standing in a line in the middle of the room getting our one-two step on. The music was blasting, we were stepping to the left, spinning the right, and jumping back and forth. Being on the top floor of the building I'm sure we managed to spread some of our excitement to the floors beneath us. But hey, sometimes that's just what people need.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?