<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Ditched 

Excuse me if this post is incoherent and ranty (aren't they all?), but it's Friday night and I'm living this now.

I've made some great friends since I moved to my new place. Great friends. The kind of friends I can have dinner with, chill in their room and talk for hours... I mean really good stuff. And I think they care for me. It's great, I haven't had much of that from "friends" in the past.

But somehow when the clock strikes 11 p.m. we enter into a different universe where our commonalities and bonds are abolished and our differences keep us apart. All of my good new friends seem to have some VICE that they nurture so strongly that we just can't see eye to eye on it.

I have this one great friend who drinks, smokes and goes all the way on the second night. It makes me cringe what she does to herself. I can't stand the smoke, I don't drink alcohol. I definitely don't sleep around. I tried to look the other way and take her as she was, but it's just no fun when we have to make room of those three things in our friendship.

On her birthday, I insisted on hanging out with her and going out with her. It was her birthday, and being friends I wanted to spend that day with her. But she smoked up so much and drank sooo much. She almost passed out. So when we all finally found a good party and everyone went to dance, she got so sick she had to go home, and I went with her.

And these other two guys on my floor. They're great, we hang out a lot together. We have lots of things in common except they smoke pot and I don't. THAT really bothers me. They know it. I tell them I think it's messed up, but they go on and do it. And everytime they talk about marijuana a spark lights up their eyes and an intense passion gives strength to their discourse. Tonight I went out to grab something to eat with them. Then we were in their room chatting, chilling. We were having a great time. All of a sudden it was pot time. The big thang you stuff the dried weed it became the center of attention, as they loaded it up with the shriveled dry plant.

"Oh guys, please don't!" I pleaded with them.

"Come on man, have some with us. It'll be fun."

"No! You know I don't do that kind of stuff. Come on, it's messed up, don't do it!"

"But it's so much fun. Come on, just one whiff."

"No! Guys, you come on! Can't you find something else to do for fun?!?"

But their offers to join them became more vehement and forceful. I thought this was the right time to make my escape before they light up. "I can't believe you're doing this. I'm leaving. Come get me when you go to eat." I slammed the door and left in a fury.

They said they'd come by at 11, but they never did. I sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Till I decided to do something and marched over to their room.

It was dark. It smelled like smoke and the air was a bit murky. No one was there. All I could hear was scary heavy metal playing in the background.

My eyes half-rolled in their sockets. My lips tightened a bit. My hands formed into loose fists.

Ditched.

I was ditched tonight by four friends for pot, cigarettes, and alcohol.

Goodnight.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?