<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 15, 2004

When We Laugh Together It's So Good 

When I first moved into this "new" dorm (new for me) and met my two neighbors to the left, I thought, meh neighbors. They were nice in a distant, lukewarm, polite kind of way. I could live with them. It wasn't going to be bad, but it sure wasn't going to be too exciting.

I'm happy to announce, however, that time has proved me way wrong. We've been doing some major neighbor bonding time and it's been fun, fun, funny. One girl is a nutrition major. Sometimes I think her head is in outer space. She floats and then blurts out a choked laughter from time to time. But she's easy going. Her roommate is a hardcore engineer. According to this girl, she epitomizes the stereotypical engineering student, and in a way, it's so true. She's got the pale white skin, flimsy, flat hair, and dull eyes that make you think she really never left the lab. She wired up her room like nobody's business. And well, yeah she's a chemical engineer. And me? I'm the weird new guy who has no clue what to do with his life. Doesn't this sound like quite the harmonious threesome?

I've had two brunches with them on Sunday mornings. The first was polite, and um, nice in a polite kind of way. The second was funny, as we found ourselves laughing at my rants about East-Coast Jews. Like the time, this Jewish girl from NYC started talking to me, and when she found out where I was from, she blurted in her distinct New-York accent, "WHAT?! I was taught in Hebrew school that there are no Jews in Minnesota! We were taught that there are only Jews in like New York, Boston, Jersey and Philly." Uhhhmm...

Then this past weekend, they invited me into their room to watch Amelie. Man, that movie was wicked weird, in such a weirdly cool way. It was kind of like the three of us when we're together. There was great popcorn, some chocolate, and some abs-hurt bursts of laughter. And when the movie was over, and I left, the engineer said, "do you need one of us to walk you to your room? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!" Lol... "No, I think I'll be just fine."

And tonight, we went to one of the dining halls for dinner. Next thing we knew, we were sitting in the first row of tables in front of the President of the University who made a sort of impromptu visit to the dining hall. He started yacking about what he did for the past nine days, and how our University is a trans-national university, blah blah blah. And the engineer froze and wanted to leave, ASAP. But I wasn't done eating and the space cadet seemed more than interested. When it was over I blurted, "You know what I want?!"

"What do you want?!" They shouted in the kind of enthusiasm you'd see a pre-school teacher talking to her student.

"I wanna see that guy in sweat pants and a doo-rag or something someday. He needs to loose that suit and tie."

Walking into the freezing cold night found me with a mild case of hiccups. I was trailing slightly behind the two girls, when suddenly the engineer stopped, turned around, made a scary face, threw her hands in the air and shouted a combination of "Ahhhhh!!!" and "Boooo!!!!"

"AHHH!!!!!!" I shouted back and must have jumped 15 feet back. She freaked the hell out of me. "It's supposed to make your hiccups go away," she smiled. But of course, they only got worse, and we just could not stop laughing. Could not stop laughing....



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?