<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Problem Is 

That I think too much. Or at least that's what my TA said to me when I came to get help on a problem set. If blogger didn't fail on me last night, you would have learned that I spent four hours last night in the library working on one problem set, which I didn't even manage to finish. Frustrating to say the least. But when I went to office hours all the hopelessness dissipated. I had done everything I needed to do. The teacher didn't even know the answers to my questions. I think about things too much.

I've heard that a million times from a million people. So my way apparently isn't the right way. I think too much, people don't have the answers, people don't want to be bothered, so just shut up and keep it simple. Keeping it simple has its virtues, but we're never going to push the enveloppe and grow and evolve and make real changes if we keep everything so simple all the time.

I look at all the people around me. Save the few undecideds, which are fewer that we think, everyone's got some plan in college. He wants to be a doctor. She's going to be an earth scientist. They're going to be journalists, businessmen, pyschologists. And I look at them, and most people have no f*in clue what they're doing or the meaning of what they're studying. They're at office hours because they're just trying to get the remotest grasp of what the heck they're supposed to know.

And me? I have no clue what I want to do, who I want to be, but I know too much, and no one wants to be bothered with someone like that.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?