<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Flashback 

I was home for winter break feeling ravaged and torn by a rough first semester and a week of final exams. To celebrate the new year, and the return of their children from their first semester at college, a couple of families got together one night. Not at all opposed to seeing some familiar faces after having spent a few months in a place where everyone was a strange, I showed up with my family to the social gathering. The food was an authentic aberration from dining hall menus. Sounds of laughter and chatter buzzed in the background. I could almost feel my wrapped in the warmth of being around old friends.

The livingroom was filled with people cozied up on puffy couches who were talking away. I took my plate of food to the living room and made myself comfortable on the carpet, leaning against the wall. As I ate my food slowly, I listened quietly to conservations about the life and people I had left behind a couple months ago. I had just stuffed a fork-full of salad into my mouth when Don, the father of one of my classmates who was a pseudo-childhood friend, suddenly approached me. "Oh Amir! It's great to see you! How was your first semester at college?!"

I smiled and I motioned with my head that I had too much food in my mouth to talk. I took a couple more bites, and swallowed. "Oh, it was kind rough, you know..."

"Oh, wow that's great, Amir! Nice to see you!" He exclaimed, and turned away.

I blinked. Huh? "I said it was kinda... Oh, well it was nice to see you, too." But he was already long gone.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?