<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Hi to a Friend 

As I was heading up the stairs to leave the library I saw Jim rushing through the exit door. Jim, skinny tall Jim with the dark blonde flimsy hair, whom I don't think I've ever seen carry a back-pack. Jim.

I hesitated. I could have ran after him to say hi, or I could have just let him escape. What difference did it really make? But I took stock: I've seen him more than I've spoken to him lately, and something just didn't seem right about that thought.

As the door swung shut behind him, I accelerated to a quick jog. "Jim," I shouted as I took my last leaps through the quiet library. I flung the door open and he turned around, smiling.

"Heya Jim," I began. "I've seen you around a lot lately, so I thought 'I should catch up with him this time' because we're well due for a conversation." Well, it's not like we haven't talked in that long. We walked home together from class on Monday.

"Yeah," he snickered in his semi-high pitched, squeaky, really nerdy sounding voice. "I've seen you around a lot lately, too."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, I saw you today twice and at the dining hall up north and at the dining hall on west the other day," he confessed. Woha, I thought to myself. He's got me beat.

"So why didn't you say 'hi' to me then?! Come on!" I nudged him jokingly.

"Yeah, I saw you up northing eating alone," ohh, now he was really starting to rub it in.

"What?!" I shouted in outrage. Well, I wasn't to shocked or too offended, I saw him coming up to the north dining hall that day, too. I just wanted to be invisible because being spotted alone isn't always the funnest of things. "So you want to tell me you saw me sitting alone and you didn't even come up to say 'hello'? That's not right..."

"Yeah," he says that a lot, "I was with some friends both times I saw you in the dining hall."

"So you're too cool to say 'hi' to someone sitting alone when you're around your friends? Is that it?" Now I was pushing it, half joking though.

He giggled, we laughed. I think he got the point. I think I got something off my chest which wasn't even bugging me that much. I'm just really glad I caught myself after the fact practicing what I preached. And looked what I gained, unsolicited smiles and giggles! Tee hee :)



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?