<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 30, 2004

Rainy Day 

This will be my first full week of classes this school year. Boy, was it off to a wet start. I woke up to the sound of rain and people walking through puddles right outside of my dorm. By the time I got out of bed it had stopped raining, but the sky was still forebodingly gray, and I decided to take an umbrella just in case.

The walk to my first class takes 15 minutes and is completely uphill. The first couple minutes were dry. Then a light drizzle starting coming down. It was so gentle that I thought I could tough it out. Then the drops got bigger, heavier, and much more frequent. By the last five minute stretch to class, there was a down right downpour. I flung my umbrella open, but when it rains this hard, nothing can protect you. I got to class soaked. Even the waterproof pants I was wearing caved to the liquid onslaught.

I had four classes today, and during each passing time the rain was in full force. It got cold, and my shoes and socks got soaked through and through. My new notebooks and textbooks turned into a mush of paper gerber. I just hope that I don't get sick now, and I hope that this rainy, cold start to my first full week of classes doesn't foreshadow anything about this upcoming year.

In other developments of the day... Reason #76,234 I need to transfer to a new room: My bed cannot be de-lofted! Apparently the folks at housing maintenance ran out of "material" to de-loft beds, whatever that means. Maybe if they got around to my request (which I filed over a week ago) a bit earlier, they would have still had "material" to lower my bed. If it's any consolation to me though, they offered to set my bed on the floor. Oh yeah, that's hot. So I guess I'll be living unhappily ever after with my lofted bed. To get a sense of its height, when I stand on the ground, my head barely reaches the top of the mattress. The ceiling is low, and when I wake up in the morning I bang my head against it (ouch). When my pillows fall from my bed in the middle of the night, I can't reach down and grab them. :( All the small things...



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?