<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Onwards 

I've somewhat unintentionally been keeping a low cyberprofile lately. I guess this is what usually happens to me once school's out. I just collapse after months of borrowing energy to keep my exhausted brain on top of school, work, family. The energy debt stops growing, and with no extra energy to keep things going my exhausted brain collapses into the slumber that it needs. Every once in a while I get a spurt of fascinating thoughts, but by the time I'm ready to jot them down they've dispersed into the background of my consciousness.

So what's up with my life? I'm back in Minnesota. It's wonderful, wonderful, wonderful to be home. I got home just in time for the planting season. On Saturday Mom and I went out to the farmer's market, bought baby plants and flowers and spent six hours making a garden and putting up a fence. Last year our garden was a disaster. Rabbits ravaged it. This year, I hope we get to enjoy some fruits and vegetables of our labor... It'll be a good summer if I'll be eating watermelons, peppers, onions, radishes, eggplants, and tomatoes out of the garden by late August.

Work. It's not like I don't work my ass hard enough during the school year. Two jobs and five classes sure mean I've been doing what I could. But after two years at an expensive private college I'm starting to feel the financial squeeze. The $$$s in my bank account are drying up (not that I ever had much to begin with), and the loans are plunging well into the five-digits (oh the gifts of an education; the gift of massive debt).

I need a summer job. Back in march I applied to three internships in book publishing. I was really excited. I love writing. I did my research about these internships, they sounded like a great glimpse into the magic of book-making. I spent hours writing up a tight resume and an appealing cover letter. But months and months went by and I didn't even hear back from anyone. Only one of the publishers had the decency to confirm my application. I probably could have been a better nagger, but it didn't feel right and I didn't have the time or nerve to devote to nagging. Anyway, whatever. It's history. Now I'm home and unemployed.

69 years and 363 days before my 20th birthday my grandma was born. She always jokes that I was her 50th birthday present. So being that I'm now free and unemployed, my grandma urged me to fly to Israel to celebrate our round birthdays together. So a few days ago I found decently priced tickets, and booked them. Exactly a week ago I was flying home from school. Tomorrow, I'll be hitting the airport again, just international-style this time.

I'll be gone for two weeks, and since I don't really have any plans for my two weeks there, I may well have time to write up a few updates. If not, I'll definitely be back in two weeks to whine about my joblessness or perhaps better things.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?