<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Safe Skies? 

I didn't intend to stay up so late tonight, but in the process of surfing the web before hitting the sack, I came across something that's been on my mind ever since. I need to thank Sarah for bringing this to my attention--I read about it first on her blog.
 
A woman by the name of Annie Jacobsen published an article called Terror in the Skies, Again?. It's a first-hand account of some suspicious behavior she came across in a recent flight. I warn you, this article is long, but if you find this half as interesting as I did, you'll read it in a jiffy. The article bothered me so much, that I decided to do a search for "Annie Jacobsen" to read up more about this. Many people have questioned the article based on the elaborate details it offers. It may be embellished, but federal agencies back up much of her account rendering most criticism obsolete.
 
People, it seems like the whole internet is buzzing about this story! So much so that Annie Jacobsen wrote a follow up piece. Even the "mainstream media" is picking up on this story. MSNBC news aired a long segment on Scarborough Country where they interviewed Annie and her husband about their experience on the flight.
 
If you ever plan on flying, this directly affects you. Even if you don't fly, this could affect the security of the whole nation. This article brings back vivid memories from 9/11, and rekindles discussions that were sparked at the time. Are we still at risk, or just overly paranoid? Is political correctness necessary to promote fairness and equality, or is it making us blind and oblivious to real threats? Were those 14 Syrian men conducting a dry-run test to assemble a bomb during the flight, or were they doing something completely different and harmless?
 
I don't know, I'm not taking sides yet. But I do think that until we do make up our minds and take a stand, we must at least become aware of this issue.  




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?