<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Young 'n Unemployed Part 1 

I mentioned in my last post that I'm not working for the summer. I can't complain too much about being unemployed; on the one hand I love it. I love sleeping as much as I need every night. I love having days upon days to do what I want, even if it's nothing. I'm spending these long summer days in complete chillax mode. By now weeks have gone by without me doing too much of anything, and yet boredom is nowhere in sight.

At the same time, I'm not particularly proud of to boast about my joblessness. What lumps my throat up even more is the fact that I tried--six times--and still nothing worked. Six rejections are enough to deal a blow to anyone's self-esteem, and six times leaves me wondering a bit where I went wrong. I spent serious hours in the career counseling office this year as I geared up for my summer job search. I tweaked my resume and had it reviewed and critiqued a couple times. I had friends read over my cover letters. I didn't do a sloppy job with these applications. My grades are as high as anyone could wish for, and I would have thought that working two serious jobs at school proves that I have some experience and I'm not a bum. So what could have possibly screwed me up so royally six consecutive times?

So you see, this summer time-off thing wasn't exactly my idea. I was sort of half forced into it--and thank goodness for that! I just wish I was smart and confident enough to spare myself from six job searches during the school year when I really could have relished any extra energy for my tired-ass self.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?