<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, July 28, 2005

All the Excitement I Can't Handle 

My brush with Hollywood in Minnesota has officially come to an end. A Prairie Home Companion is about to wrap shooting any day now, and my "role" in the movie is over. I got called back four times, and I got on set three times. After my disastrously disappointing first day, I had my doubts about returning. But with nothing better to do this summer and no good excuses, I couldn't turn down the offers for a second, third, and even a fourth try, which compensated me with plenty of excitement.

My second time back (first time on set) ushered in the excitement. That day was huge--they called in 650 extras, so we all packed the waiting room like a bunch of sardines. I happened to meet a lady who knew someone on the crew, who in turn set us up with nice numbers (you get called on set by number). Instead of simply filling another seat in the audience, we got a special role as "latecomers." As the show began and the curtains rolled up, an usher showed us to our seats. We felt so special every time they shouted, "action!" and "cut!" We were actually doing something in the scene! We did some 4 or 5 takes of that, and I would have gladly gone for 20 more. We felt like little movie stars.

My second time on set, yesterday, was even more exciting. Although I didn't get a special role, the set was full of celebrities. Sitting in our comfy audience seats, we got to see Kevin Kline, Tommy Lee Jones, Virginia Madsen, Woddy Harrelson and John C. Reilly work their movie-making magic. Harrelson and Reilly were hilarious! They joked with the audience and thanked us for volunteering our time. They even entertained us with a little spontaneous singing. Woody did a great Elvis "Heartbreak Hotel," and Reilly broke out some "Blue Bayou."

Tonight was by far the most exciting, though. We got called to stay until 4 a.m. I hesitated staying up so late, but I couldn't resist another chance at the movies. They even enticed me by saying that it'd be a fun outdoor scene with Tommy Lee Jones walking through the crowd. Neither of what they told me was true. We wrapped around 12:30 a.m. and there was no Tommy Lee Jones, but there was still wicked fun. Tonight they shot the scene where the audience enters the theatre. They were looking for "couples," so a woman I was talking to and myself volunteered. Luck had it that we got pulled to the front of the line. We were asked the play the role of a couple that's running late to meet friends we haven't seen for years. We had to run up to the entrance of the theatre and act all frazzled. Oh, it was a hilariously great time, so hilarous we actually felt like actors. I might not have had this much fun in years.

Despite my few mini-roles, I know there's still a great chance my scenes won't even make the final cut. It's OK though. I met some really light-hearted, friendly people. I saw some celebrities, and soaked in all the behind-the-scenes adrenaline of mega-cameras and a frazzled crew. I experience the magic of movie-making and made some great memories in the process. They can cut me out of the movie, but they can't take that away from me.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?